Session 3 – Unlocking Vacant Lots and Forgotten Liens to Accomplish Strategic Goals
Vacant land, abandoned buildings and blighted areas are problems that plague every community. In this session, you’ll learn how you can start turning those problems into real opportunities using strategies that cities across the state are using. This panel discussion will feature real-life examples and success stories from experts in code enforcement and neighborhood affairs. You’ll leave with tools you can put to work immediately!
700 Phoenix Avenue – Now for Sale $249,900
CODE ENFORCEMENT IS YOUR MOST (OVERLOOKED) VALUABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, AFFORDABLE HOUSING, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT,
JUST HOW BIG IS THE PROBLEM/OPPORTUNITY?
Hon. Rick Kriseman
Former Mayor City of St. Petersburg
Neighborhood Affairs Administrator
City of St Petersburg
Voluntary Compliance And Thoughtful Resolutions That Benefit The Community
Community Standards Division
City of Largo
Effective Management is The Key to Community Success
Code Enforcement is a Powerful Economic Development and Community Engagement Tool But Elected Officials Need to Take a More Proactive Role in Using This Tool
- What is the total dollar amount of liens owed to the city?
- How many vacant lots and abandoned buildings exist in our city? (cross referenced with liens on them)
- How many open code cases do we have that have daily running fines and are not in compliance?
- How many open code cases do we have that are in compliance, but still have fines due?
- Do we have a process in place to address code cases that are either in compliance of not and still have fines due?
- Have we recorded a lien with the County Clerks Office for all cases that are still outstanding?
- Do we have a process in place, if we need to foreclose on a property? If not, why?
- Do we have a fine reduction process? If not, why not?
Other things to consider:
Effective July 1, 2021 Code Case Reporting has Declined DRAMATICALLY.
(This means your code employees have a lot more time to devote to practical resolutions.)